9.11.2012

Effects

At age 12, I had no real worries.  My biggest concern was whether my braces would be off in time for school pictures.  On September 11, 2001 at 7:45 am central time I was visiting Dr. R's orthodontist office, sitting in the red chair, waiting for one of his helpers to tighten my braces.  The lady came over and asked if I had heard about the plane crashing into one of the Twin Towers.  I didn't even know what the Twin Towers were.  After the appointment, my mom drove me back to LCS where I encountered many students and teachers who were talking about these Twin Towers that I had never heard of.  After much talk at school, I was finally able to come home and ask my parents about what was happening.  That evening I watched as former President Bush addressed the nation and declared a war on terror.  

At age 12, I had no idea how the events of 9/11 would affect my life.  I didn't know anyone in New York.  I didn't know anyone in the army.  I didn't fly very often.  I was sad that so many people were hurt or lost their lives, but that was it.  I didn't see how the events affected me.  

Now I do.  

I am 23 and it has been 11 years since the War on Terror began.  I am now 3 days away from saying goodbye to man I love so he can go fight the terrorists.  How would 9/11 affect my life?  How naive I once was...

No comments:

Post a Comment